If you’re struggling for cash, you have probably searched the web for quick money making ideas, or other ways of making money. What most people don’t realise is that there is money sitting all around their house in items that they rarely use. Some people choose to sell their unwanted items online, but this can get expensive with commission and postage costs. Car boot sales are a great way to make some quick cash with minor expenses.
Why Are Car Boot Sales A Good Way Of Making Money?
Car boot sales are often very cheap to sell at, sometimes they are free. Usually a car boot sale site will charge a small fee per car. Unlike selling online or through newspapers, car boot sales allow you to sell your items very quickly. You may not think that your old stuff is worth a lot, but someone else might. Most people that do a car boot sale are surprised with the amount of money that they accumulate from it, and also the space they are able to free up in their house.
Equipment You’ll Need For A Car Boot Sale
1. A Car – This goes without saying, you will need a vehicle to transport your goods.
2. Tables – You’ll need one or more folding tables to display your goods to the punters , if your items aren’t on display then nobody will see what you have to offer.
3. A Lockable Money Box – This is essential for you to keep your earnings secure.
4. A Float – You’ll need to get some change together to successfully run a car boot sale. It’s a good idea to go to the bank and convert some cash into mixed coins to give as change at the car boot sale.
5. Boxes – If you are selling DVDs, CDs, vinyl, or books then it’s a good idea to get some boxes for people to browse through. Plastic, or cardboard boxes will do, anything to free up space on your stall and keep things contained.
Tips For Succeeding
There are several things to consider when you are looking to succeed at a car boot sale, having old stuff isn’t enough on its own:
- Display your items well, if your stall looks like a mess it probably won’t attract many buyers. Try to set out your stall in a way that looks appealing and also showcases your best items, ensure that everything that you have for sale is easily visible.
- Consider using price tags on your items, this can often generate quicker sales and eliminate bartering.
- If buyers barter on your prices then have some flexibility, just because you have set a price in your head doesn’t mean that anybody will buy it. Remember, you are selling items that you no longer use, sometimes it’s best to let it go for a little less than you wanted for it.
- Keep an eye on your stall, thieves do operate at car boots so watch out for anybody trying to distract you allowing another person to steal from your stall.
- Make sure you have enough change for the duration of the car boot sale, if you don’t have change to give people then you will lose out on sales.
- Bring some carrier bags and offer them to buyers when they make a purchase, it can be frustrating to carry around everything you have bought at a car boot sale in your arms.
Where To Look For Places To Do A Car Boot Sale
It’s usually pretty easy to find a location for your car boot sale. Try using a search engine to search for car boot sales near you, they are usually held in fields or car parks. Often, signs will be displayed in locations that hold regular car boot sales, so keep an eye out for these.